Tuesday, 17 February 2015

The run down... (Apparently, the blog title itself is going to factor into this post--parasites!)

Going with your gut...when I began blogging, it was to discuss food issues with myself and others.  I also wanted to chat, periodically, about what it was like to live outside Canada, with my family along for the ride.  It seems though, we brought back others for a ride... there is a ripe vein of humour when it comes to intestinal parasites.  I'm grateful for that, because sometimes, it's really not that funny, and potty humour is necessary for the laughs to get us through.  Let's play for a moment: it's a sh*tty situation...there's a lot of cr*p to deal with...that sh*t is messed up...and every other variation thereof! But seriously, should I even write this?!!  I feel compelled to, as I think I might be finding a solution.

So now, I can be serious about it.  Almost.  I think the little sh*it disturbers have messed with the integrity of what should be a very containing, and continuous gastrointestinal (GI) tract-- I've discussed a leaky gut in the past.  What I never really knew is how I could be dealing with a GI tract that was microscopically leaking.  Should I even post this?

I've been to the same doctor as the big kid, and feel fortunate to have stumbled across a functional medicine specialist.  It's the first time I've felt that a doctor has a handle on the whole whatever it is that's going on with me.  It's more than just one system involved-minimally it's immune, digestive, renal, reproductive, and muscular-I would dearly love to not have the nervous system get involved, because frankly, I just find that scary.  In his opinion, it's possible that a parasite is at the core of it...

Interestingly, and painfully, I have now had two kidney stone episodes--the kidney stone thing is relatively new, as in, that's how I spent part of the Christmas holiday, a few weeks ago.  What are the kidney stones? Calcium oxalate.  There is too much in my blood, and it's crystallized in the kidneys, to exit as stones (and it was painful).  What do the parasites often produce? Calcium oxalate.  I don't think that can be a coincidence.  A set of thriving parasites is not my choice of souvenir... I'm more local artisan/craftsperson supportive kind of girl...

So the chain of events would be:
  • I'm an easy target type, with my pre-existing gluten sensitivity issue--perhaps having never really had a proper system since longtime...
  • Somehow, I take this parasite on board-eating something, I assume. And yes- "ew"
  • Parasite thrives on what's supposed to be nourishing my body
  • Parasite activity causes tiny openings in the GI that shouldn't be there, and then, what is supposed to be contained within leaks into body, and registers with immune system as "intruder" and immune system goes toward the berserk...histamine type reactions, swelling, headache, etc...
  • All this nasty begins to affect the action of the mitochondria, which are in every cell, save for red blood cells...my whole body goes toward the zombie-style of metabolism.  This in turn affects the normal production of every chemical, including hormones- ye-ouch to being female (as if it wasn't enough fun already!)
  • I become anemic...the news of that prefaced by another doctor who 'bright-sided' by beginning with "you don't need a transfusion"
  • Red blood cells without enough iron molecules, and too few red blood cells, can no longer carry sufficient oxygen to cells, and oxygen is necessary for the mitochondria to do their work of providing energy in every single cell--in all, that's a bad thing that doesn't make itself better.  I take iron, it helps a bit
  • I have aching muscles, aching hands, feet, calves, torso, and often, an aching head- but less frequently since I started the Wahl's protocol way of eating.  I take a long time to mobilize in the morning-think of a sloth, or a slow-motion replay...Typically though, when I'm feeling well, I'm more meerkat than sloth-awake, and alert, instantly popping my head up, ready to take on the day and make stuff happen!
What to do, what to do?!!  The doctor will figure out which type of parasite we have, and then we'll get treatment for that.  Meanwhile, there's damage happening, and bodies in need of repair; and the only way to get the supplies in is via digestion (oh, and the B12 shots I'll need).  I'm feeling drained (literally) from all the tests I've had...both of blood and cash, as none of this expertise is ordinarily available (trying to recover expenses via the extended medical is not simple).  There are now many things happening at once.  I've had even more tests, so I'm waiting on those results... Meanwhile, I'm neither digesting nor absorbing nutrients properly, both of which are necessary to recover once the pests are gone.

Many sacks worth of greens have already gone to the cause, and I've been to the compounding pharmacy, whole foods, and the local grocery store, stocking up on all things needed for the repair work!  My cabinet that previously housed coffee is now brimming and popping out things like vitamins, sea green powders, red mix powders, protein powders, probiotics, essential fatty acids, stomach acid increasers to help digest, and enzymes for the same reasons-only the good $$$ ones!  The pot on the stove is simmering some organic beef bones for broth that contains the amino acids that help physically plug the holes in the GI made by the parasites, or accidentally, by gluten, though that likelihood is low, because I'm rather strict (like, open a new butter if I think small fry used a toast knife back in the butter dish).  The freezer has organic meats and fresh, wild catch fish waiting...and the fridge is a beautiful display of smoothies, and colourful berries and vegetables.

That's it for now, I'm cooked just thinking about it.  One last note regarding food though--today's dinner is spicy rice, (with colourful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory spices and coconut oil), and organic beef and broccoli, which we will eat with some sliced baby cucumbers.  To say I'm low on energy at this point is true, but I will add that as I've been doing the typing here, my hands feel less dextrous, and much, much heavier... I dearly hope all this sourcing, spending, reading, cooking and blending is able to heal what ails us at the moment.  At the very least, I'm doing no harm?!! (well, except to the pocketbook:) 

Cheers and chao! 

PS-I'm posting it, but can't promise that I'll leave it.  I do think it's possible that someone else could get something positive out of it--but they'll see it soon, I wager.

No comments:

Post a Comment