Friday, 13 February 2015

Baked even later in the evening than the last moment vanilla cupcakes.

Confession--I went gluten-free with these ones because I wanted to see if anyone else would like them--and 31 people at school seemed like a good sized sample... Worst case scenario is that the teacher might suggest Middle Man might like to bring something other than snacks-which, if I think on it, might not really be the worst case scenario.  Anywaaay- it seems they were enjoyed all around, even without the knowledge that they were feasting on gluten-free goodies.  There's a scientist baker mom at work, right there--blind study!  I even believe it was ethical, as each ingredient was completely edible on its own--no need for signed waivers or anything of the sort.

And so, with the experiment being complete, I want to add the frustration relieving post I threw onto Facebook last night.  I didn't even mention the part about having to wash the floor as part of cleaning up the spill of 9 unbaked muffin papers of batter.  It sparked some funny parent comments about "new math" and one asked me to remember to comment on how the answers "made me feel", so that follows as well.

Word problem. Part A: if a mom agrees to a last minute request for thirty snack cupcakes, how many recipes of 24 will she make? A=1.5 Part B: If the mom wastes one tin (9, not 12!) by flipping it onto the floor, will she have enough to send one for every child? A=no, she won't. Part C: how many extra cupcakes will she have once she bakes a new batch of a different recipe because the first batch left only 1 cup of butter in the house? A=24-9... If you answered correctly and could show your work, you win--absolutely NOTHING because we're hoarding the leftovers!!!

Friend's question: "I just want to know approximately, and how it made you feel. Is the number you have reasonable?"

Well...as I did the math, I was thinking--why didn't I just buy some flippin' donuts?!!...and I was also feeling a little frustrated because of the flipped tin...and the calculations promise me 36, as an estimate, but I only could have gotten 33 at the most. But then, I got zero. That did NOT seem reasonable because 1.5 batches should not be equal to one batch of 24...but that's what the flipping math said, so that's what I got. But then, I added 24, and took away 9 - in all, I'd call it a raging mother of a success?! Did I get the right answer, or should I have sent chocolates?!


Ultimately, I posted my own photo, without icing, and I'm sharing the recipe here Chocolate Cupcake Recipe.  As these followed the tipped and ruined tin of other cupcakes, I substituted like I was solving algebra!  No xanthan gum, didn't think the baking soda would taste good at that level, so I used baking powder instead, and cut back on the salt, had no buttermilk, so I used vanilla yogurt, and then, the most important one--Robin Hood Gluten-free baking mix which is rice flour, beet fibre, and tapioca starch.  I'd say to go with the original if you have all of the ingredients, but if you feel like a little lesson in kitchen chemistry, try the substitutions?!! And also- I had the Thermomix on the job because the strange order of assembly called for boiling together the water, butter and cocoa so it was truly and ridiculously easy.  The ease made the end of the long evening of activities and baking much more tolerable, as did insisting that the kids rally and do the dishes!Cheers and chao!



CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES WITH FUDGE FROSTING {GLUTEN-FREE}

These super chocolaty cupcakes are best made the day before eating, so plan ahead!
Recipe from: 
Recipe type: Cakes & Cupcakes
INGREDIENTS
Cupcakes:
  • 2 cups Gluten Free Mama’s all-purpose almond blend flour
  • 1 ½ tsp. xanthan gum (omit if using a flour blend that contains xanthan)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 1 cup salted butter
  • ⅓ cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup water
  • ½ c. buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Fudge Frosting:
  • ½ cup butter
  • ½ cup cocoa powder
  • 3 ⅔ cup powdered sugar
  • 6-7 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
INSTRUCTIONS
Cupcakes
  1. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
  2. In your mixing bowl, combine flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
  3. In a medium saucepan, combine butter, cocoa, and 1 cup water. Bring just to boiling, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and add to dry ingredients, beat until combined.
  4. Add buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla and beat for one minute on low-medium speed.
  5. Pour batter into cupcake liners. I use a large scoop that measures about 1/3 cup batter into each opening.
  6. Bake at 350° for 17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with a few crumbs (no wet batter).
  7. Let cool in pan for 4 minutes, then remove cupcakes. Wait to frost until completely cool.
  8. *You can also bake this as a cake in a 9x13" pan for ~35 minutes or in two 8" cake pans for 22 minutes. Make sure to spray the pans well with non-stick cooking spray.
Fudge Frosting:
  1. Using a medium glass bowl, melt the stick of butter in microwave. Whisk in cocoa powder, then heat for 1 minute. Add powdered sugar and milk alternately, beating with a hand mixer until creamy. Add vanilla last, beating in until mixed well.
  2. If you use this frosting while still warm, it is easily spreadable and has the glossy finish when dried like you see in the photo but can slide off of whatever you are frosting. If you let it cool completely, then it firms up and can be placed into a pastry bag for piping for decorating cakes or cupcakes. The icing can be refrigerated to use later; just microwave 10 seconds at a time, and stir, until you get to the right consistency for piping or spreading.

No comments:

Post a Comment