Saturday, 10 January 2015

Chowder Recipe (complete with cheats that mean dinner's happening in 7 minutes)

Cod Chowder
Preamble: it's for me, though the kids are welcome to eat it too...which means it's milk-free (but buttery!), gluten-free, potato-less, and whatever-else-I-didn't-put-in-there-free.  I have taken to having more frozen foods as a means of trying to reduce my histamine intake, which means I have a stocked freezer--handy in this case to have peas and fish waiting to become chowder.

  • In a medium-large soup pot, on medium-high heat, melt about 1/4 cup of butter
  • Add and stir to coat, one diced onion, stir until they're translucent but not golden
  • Add about 1/4 cup of flour (whatever gluten-free one you have) and stir well, to cook
  • Add a tablespoon of Patak's Tandoori Paste, two chicken bouillon cubes, many grinds of pepper, and a light sprinkling of turmeric, and a few shakes of freeze-dried garlic (therein lies the speedy prep!).
  • Once it's lumpy, add a tiny bit of plain coconut beverage (I think almond would work too) and keep stirring, adding a whole litre very slowly, while stirring to keep it smooth.  I say slowly, because that flour needs to cook a little bit with the butter, and adding the milk too quickly might cool the process too much, and the lumps would last forever!
  • Into this golden yellow bliss, add chopped fresh dill (or go freeze-dried if it's a weeknight!), a few frozen peas, frozen carrots would be fine if your Big Kid doesn't get a weird throat from that... and two frozen fillets of cod.
  • Cook until the fish is done, stirring occasionally to break the fillets into chunks and hasten the dinner bell.  Then, call the kids to set the table for soup and bread...


Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment