Friday, 12 December 2014

Doctor, doctor...he gave me some news.

After many days of the big kid being sick and missing school, I took him to the clinic.  Diagnosis was "virus" so that was no real shocker.  The doctor offered to run a test to find out specifically which it was, should we have that level of curiosity.  If we were that curious, we would have to have overlooked the reality that there would be nothing for it anyway.  So, he didn't take that test.

The reason for the post is that I wanted to share the doctor's perspective on how to treat a virus-with the usual "use your best judgement and don't give raw honey to small children".  The usuals apply, lots of liquids, rest, and something for pain or fever if that was desired.  The more unusual pieces of advice were the natural/nutritional ones that he offered.  He began with suggesting what turned out to be ridiculously expensive honey and lemon for the throat, so I was happy to be in a big centre that has all that jazz.

I knew from micro classes that bacteria and viruses can't reproduce or replicate in the presence of zinc or silver, so I've always just suggested to family and friends to try the zinc lozenges, as they coat the throat, making it a less hospitable environment for the bacteria and viruses (more about the silver later).  The doctor confirmed that by suggesting the same, every 3 hours while awake-with a chuckle that there was no need to wake in the night to make that happen.  Further to the honey, he cited studies that showed honey to be as, or more, effective than any cough syrup at treating the symptoms, with further benefit of actually helping to fight off the invaders.  The trick with zinc is that it can be a touch overwhelming, and for my own use, I find I always need it to be on top of some food--or, I become a retched sort of person, which happens so easily for me!

He also suggested taking vitamin D regularly, with a much higher dose of supplement drops along with a multivitamin with zinc, adding that the effervescing C vitamins were good (don't know how the dentist would weigh in on it, but it's only a week, and how much worse can it be than soda?! I have felt so much better without any soda, by the way...).  I found the Zinc + C combination at the lovely-no-let's-call-it-like-it-is--CRAZY-at-this-time-of-year Walmart.

His further recommendations were to include fish three times per week, and to take a high-quality fish oil supplement to help with coughs/asthma type symptoms.  He even said that he'd seen asthma symptoms eliminated with the use of the fish oils, zinc and ...the next item to chat about: sinus rinsing. And yes...quoting my late night friend Jimmy... "Ew."

Having taken the micro class I mentioned above, I am now blessed/cursed with that knowledge.  We each have our own sinus rinser set-up.  I prefer the neti-pot, which is the little kettle-shaped vessel, and I like the ceramic because I can sanitize it in the dishwasher.  So, here's a little play by play of the twice daily 4 people rinsing...
  • Boil distilled water to make a body temperature saline solution
  • Doctor recommended adding one drop of oregano oil and colloidal silver to the solution, along with the saline package, so that went into each one.  The silver works like the zinc, but helps to clean out nasal and sinus, rather than the throat.  There's no taste or flavour from it that I could detect--especially with the oregano (snort of spaghetti sauce anyone?!).
  • 3/4 filled with room temperature distilled water, 1/4 boiled
  • Administration included handing over the concoction to the oldest two, who could handle it, along with suggestion to Lysol wipe down the taps and sink afterward...but first, do the door handle and light switches (again, with the cursed/blessed knowledge gained in that micro class)
  • The littlest miss was quite wound up about the whole water going up her nose thing, and at first we tipped her over to make it happen, but she was using a squeeze bottle, and let it go, inadvertently suctioning her nose.  Combined "Ew" from us... remade the solution because I couldn't bring myself to shoot that back up into its origin.
  • Resuming process in a more upright position, along with a reminder that she was still able to breath via mouth, and it was better to no try to simultaneously blow her nose while squirting water up into it.
  • With the splash reduced, and the spluttering reduced to almost nothing...she carried on, appropriately fascinated and horrified by the results of expelling it all into the sink
  • Following a serious honking of her nose, we were done.
  • I took on the Lysol wipe-down
  • She revelled in the joy of clearer breathing, and laughed about trying to do it all at the same time. "Yeah, it's better when I don't try to blow my nose at the same time"
  • Middle Man was happy to gross himself out with the process as well, though he already knew to take a break from pouring to breathe or blow his nose.
Overall, within two rinses, their breathing improved greatly.  My sore throat seems to be lessening, though yesterday's headache was sudden and strong.  I'll keep at the remedies for the kids, and for myself until I think I'm in the clear... They were each chipper enough for school today, so I'm hoping that with all the assistance, they'll be spared the full assault of whatever their brother has. I wouldn't mind skipping it either.

Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment