Friday, 3 October 2014

Just in case anyone else thought using natural cane sugar to make jam was a good idea

I'll wager that it's likely delicious, but it's brown.  Brown.

Brown might work for a chutney, but even then...brrrown strawberry jam? No.  Not looking too fabulous. I am keeping it however, as it's quite possible that it tastes great and would work really nicely as a filling in muffins, etc...

The weeks of settling in are adding up.  It doesn't take more than sitting in traffic--once really--to realize we're back in a congested city.  I almost didn't go to get the shelves and doors for the cabinet, because of traffic, and then I thought how nice it would be to actually put all of the stuff away, yet have it still be visible and accessible...and I packed in the two sick kids - because they were going to feel crummy anyway, and off we went.

The other big reason to go out was to get to "the" Costco, so I could order my glasses.  Both clear and sunglasses, less than half of what just the clear pair would have been at the optician.  I really can't argue with the price, nor could I argue with likely the frames at Costco more...so I didn't.  Little miss fell asleep on her hands while I was completing the order...so it was the fastest Costco run in history.  Going faster doesn't make it cheaper, necessarily... but I like stocking up on the basics, because we eat home cooked meals far more easily when I have some meat in the freezer.  And frozen is supposed to work better for me, so most of what I bought was frozen--here's to keeping the histamine intake low!

My parents are coming for a visit, so I had to make sure there were enough baking supplies to keep the small bakers and Grandma busy.  We were laughing today that we might be able to get Grandpa on dishes with cookie payments.  Then we decided we could probably secure his service with any baking, really... but cookies would likely be the best bet.

I love the oven roasted, rich flavours of fall, and we're ready for that now.  I'm so glad Canadian Thanksgiving is early!!!

Cheers and chao.

No comments:

Post a Comment