Tuesday, 21 October 2014

Garam Masala trial...soup...because it's a rainy North Vancouver day

"Another day, another soup" said the weather.

This time, I thought I'd try balancing some spice, almond milk, and sweetness together.  As usual, I'm Thermomixing it all up, because it's too easy that way, and I can let it stir and cook itself over the finish line, while I avoid the dishes waiting for the kids in the kitchen.  And as for a "by the way", all the efforts we've been making to help the kids take on increasing, and real responsibilities are really, really challenging-because I have to fight the urge to take a few minutes and whoosh the kitchen into a shining state of preparedness for whatever I want to cook.  But I keep telling myself-if I do it, they can't learn that when they "half" effort the job (or dodge it mostly/altogether...) ---it doesn't do itself!  I have to value the learning more than shiny taps!!!  O dear challenge indeed.

Anywaaaay...the ingredients-

Small onion
Olive oil
Large thumb-sized chunk of ginger root
Those all get dropped onto the blades to sauté themselves...about four minutes, or if it's in a pot on the stove, until the onions are clear- and you would have chopped the ginger very fine, and the onions into small chunks, but larger than a mince, so they give a little texture in the bite-able aspects of the soup.

Then, a large tablespoon full of the PC Garam Masala spice blend of coriander, cumin, peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon.  As a note, I've just noticed that it has a may contain wheat warning on it...which is sad.  Others can eat it though...so carrying on.






I added:

  • a tetra pack of almond beverage, to keep it dairy free-though greek yogurt would be nice!
  • about a 1/2 cup of scrutinized lentils (because, again-I'd rather find the stones in my palm than by breaking a tooth!), 
  • another 1/2 cup of a rice-quinoa blend, 
  • and a large pinch of salt.
I'll cook it for about 50 minutes... If it's delicious, I'll make it again, otherwise, it will simply be a one-of... I'll post the results. The results were tasty, but looked like prison food.  Could not have been yuckier to look at, so I added turmeric, which successfully improved the 'eye taste'.  Visual appeal is necessary, especially with this soup.  I ate it with a few crunched in Mary's Crackers. Good lunch.

Cheers and Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment