Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Laughed at the stairs...and my shoulders

I have been out of many of the practices that have worked for me in the past-namely swimming, yoga, and salad (because it was making me toss my cookies quite frequently).  As a result of being less vigilant in pursuing physical activities, I'm now busy rehabbing a weird back-neck combination of pains and 'locking-up'.  I've taken to chiro and massage, and it's helping.  I'm still not 'there' yet, but  I'm working at appreciating everything that my body takes care of on its own, and I'm working at re-establishing more workouts.  Holiday mode officially ended a few weeks ago, when we moved, but I've not quite gotten a new rhythm worked out yet, so I'm trying to make sure that working out that new rhythm really does include working out.

To that end, I cycled on the spin bike today, and did a long round of abs, and then a little bit of yoga-like stretching, worked on the upper back -neck junk, and impulsively decided to try the stairs for support in doing pushups (still a goal!) It worked really well, and wasn't as tough on my back.  My shoulders were snapping and crackling--as entertainingly as ever--but because I could do a few more that when I try horizontally, those attention-getting noises went away.  I am blogging to remember that!  Also, I was able to go to fatigue, without the silent scream starting in my back--so I'm calling it progress and plan to do it again very soon!

The challenge of getting better after all the digestive junk (specifically, keeping food IN) is that without as regular a fitness routine over the summer, I'm not really getting along so well with my jeans.  Ok, I am, but only with the loose fit ones!  But, oh well, I am where I am, and every day is another chance to choose healthy!  Choice by choice seems to be the only way I've ever been able to affect any change--

Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment