On the plus side, Little Miss has put a hold on her hockey request...and I'm really hoping she'll do something else--that the boys are already doing?!!! Wouldn't that be a treat?
The school's just begun, the kids have been in their activities for all of a week, and I'm looking at the calendar thinking--I thought I was a "less schedule-y" kind of mom. Big Kid x 3 per week of kickboxing, Middle Man x 2 per week of MMA, 1 per week rugby, and Middle Man and Little Miss are in strings, (mercifully inside school hours), at twice per week of hauling instruments. Maybe it's the after school dental appointments I've been getting them to that has thrown me into thinking I've lost m'mind!
One more week of catch up at the dentist, and then "new normal" kicks in. Also, I want them to do swimming once per week...because they can do it forever if they get good enough at it that they're happy to be in the water. I really want them to each pursue an art and a sport...and swimming lessons.
In all this, I'm trying to eat healthy foods, and get exercise, and start the consulting.
I tried the Thermomix in all of its stacking glory, and it worked. I'm supposed to be able to stack the steamer racks on top, but I've not really tried it before. Today was the day I decided to give it a go. It was too easy, and I ended up with an array of lunch choices that made everyone happy. I did the salmon in the lower rack, with broccoli layered on the rack above, with just water in the cooking bowl. Then, I looked up a recipe to see how to layer it, making sure it was veggie over fish, and not the other way around. There was a recipe with sauce below, so I interrupted the set up, added coconut milk, a spoonful of crushed garlic, and a heaping tablespoon of the Tikka sauce I had in the fridge, along with two handfuls of greens with really tough stems (cabbage-like, and harder than broccoli).
Because those stems were so tough, I thought I'd chop them, and cook them, so a few seconds of chopping did the trick, and then lunch just steamed itself away. The fish was steaming and very plain, so when it was all done, the kids could add the sauce or have the fish with lemon, or with black pepper and a tiny sprinkle of maple sugar. It was a healthy hit- because these kids love options!
I served myself, adding a crumble of feta, and a light sprinkle of lemon juice, and ended up having a lunch that I loved. It was spicy, green, healthy, and delicious.
Cheers and chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment