Bolognese is back baby!
Nomato Sauce
12 carrots, peeled and diced2 small beets, peeled and diced
2 large onion, diced
6 celery ribs, diced
2 bay leaves, whole
3 cups water
Place everything into a heavy-bottomed pot, bring to boil, simmer for 35 minutes, remove bay leaves, and puree. Spice it up for whichever dish you're making...I don't actually see where there would be any calories to speak of...it's a veggie paradise, really. I'll be trying this one with added fresh oregano leaves, some parsley, six cloves of garlic, and a wee, wee little bit of basil because I find basil can overwhelm everything. Once it's cooked, I'll add a swirl of extra-virgin cold pressed olive oil to smooth out the flavours.
Well, if you use two beets, when you're halving the recipe...you get borscht. Delicious, but not the plan I had in mind... I added some plain greek yogurt lots of cumin and dill, and pepper--it was a nice borscht. I'll try again with half or three-quarters of a beets, as I guess the ones I had were a little large.
ReplyDelete