Monday, 31 March 2014

Greek treats (the feta is in the recipes here, and the olives were a pre-dinner snack!) Deli-cious

I only title it this way to explain a post on Facebook-because I was having a small tantrum about the lack of tomatoes in my diet, and how hard it is to find a recipe that doesn't add tomatoes to every casserole made with ground beef!  I'm over my fit now, and made what turned out to be a very respectable dinner.  It helped that I was at the deli today...

I decided on meatballs, potatoes, and green beans--because all of that was fresh and waiting in the fridge.

Porcupines with Gravy
1 1/2 cups of finely, finely chopped cabbage (no one but I knew!)
1 cup long grain rice
1 finely chopped onion
7 gloves of finely chopped garlic
salt
pepper
3 tablespoons of mustard- I had a whole seed variety I wanted to use, but French's would do the job
A few sprigs of fresh rosemary, minced and then minced some more!
2 eggs
2 pounds lean ground beef

All this got mixed together, formed into 1 1/2 inch meatballs (larger than I usually do) and placed in single layers - at our house, that meant the pottery casserole, the medium glass round dish, and the 6x8 glass dish...so they could bake in single layers to allow the rice to spike up like it must for the porcupine effect.

Gravy was 1/3 c gluten free flour, with two vegetable soup cubes (though I'd have used the beef ones if I still had any left), and about a litre and a half of boiling water, whisked together well, and distributed evenly over all the baking dishes.  I baked them for about 75 minutes at 200C, or 390 F, and they turned out nicely.  To serve them, I combined the smaller pan of meatballs with the casserole, and kept them hot at the table that way.

The carb for this dinner?  Rough cut new potatoes, boiled with dill, and served with butter, salt and pepper.

The vegetables were green beens, sautéed in water to just cover- with one soup cube.  Once they were cooked, I crumbled in feta cheese (a special find here!) over top, put on the lid, and took them to the table for the heat to melt it very slightly.

Everyone enjoyed...I skipped the potatoes, and had loads of green beans- as did everyone else, which isn't the norm.  Perhaps green beans need feta?!

That's all for now-Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment