This is something everyone's mom likely knew in the 60s or 70s…but now, I'm the mom, not the kid--oh wait, ah, make that 80s--honesty's important! I'm only guessing what moms knew in the 60s -- parts of the 70s are also guesswork.
So, spuds. This is an advocation that whenever a cook goes to the trouble of making potatoes--make more. Twice as much is my new rule for self. There are teens to feed--so twice as much is a good margin of error, and leaves potatoes to inspire the next day's creativity in the kitchen.
Today was a "hey" kind of day in the kitchen. It all started when kiddo heated up the quartered and boiled baby potatoes from yesterday. That looked good to me…so I went to do the same-but I like them heated in the frying pan.
In the fridge: hey, I have that pound of ground beef to use…I'll do that, put the potatoes on top, add the cheese and done. But then, hey, I have that container of chopped onion-so that went in with. Flavour asked for bouillon, added that, hey, we still have Montreal Steak Spice, so that's in, along with a tiny bit of ground tarragon (which I still regard as a mystery flavour…). Then again hey, I should use up as much as I can before holidays, so I thought I'd add a can of corn, hey, I have that pepper sauce with no tomatoes, oh, and sour cream too, so the bottom layer is corn, with a couple tablespoons of sour cream, and about a tablespoon of the hot sauce…
Then the meat, then a can of peas, and the potatoes from yesterday, mashed and that layer got topped with cheese. Baking as I blog! It smells like a good combination. And the pantry and fridge are tidier. While the meat was browning, I sifted through the spice drawer, because everything has a shorter shelf life here because of the high humidity. I left out the oregano, because of a couple reasons--the first was that I wasn't sure oregano would get along well with the other flavours, and it was still factory sealed and I didn't want to start its clock ticking toward expiry.
Cheers and chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment