There were yuccas, already peeled and sliced, and there were whole ones. There was also a lady looking at them so skeptically>>>so I waited for her to finish, and then went in. I found a couple small ones, thinking as I often do, that the smaller ones taste better-like potatoes, carrots, beets, zucchini, butternut squash, etc... And now, they're in the soup.
The are a straight-up ornery things to remove the peel from. Once that's complete though (and now I can do it myself, having gotten a lesson from our housekeeper! Still sounds like a confession whenever I write it-but I console myself as usual with "it's ok, I've subbed in 40 hours of schoolwork, and we're making a job"). She hacked at it like it had harmed her in the past, or might still...
Copy and paste the link from here if you want to read about them...
http://www.buyselltrees.com/itemdetail.aspx?id=91&p=14&type=0&name=&aspect=0&height=0&feature=0&climate=0&col=
| Cassava roots in a market. Photo courtesy: Karin Dalzeil |
So, according to the photo, they're cassava roots in English, yucca in Spanish...
I started the soup today by sauteing a small, diced, red onion, in about 3 tbsp olive oil, then peeled and diced a bag of carrots, and crushed in 4 small cloves of garlic. I briefly lamented not having any gluten free stock to use, and then moved on; but if you have stock, use it, or at least use some cubes or paste-then you can skip the lamenting.
After sauteing all that together until the carrots were softened, and a few were starting to brown, I added in a lb of ground beef, and browned that. When that was well on its way, I snipped in a half a bunch of fresh dill, which was special, because it's not always in the stores here...
I usually use fresh herbs and stock paste, but since I don't have that, I've tried to compensate with dried. I threw in some fajita spice, some Montreal Steak Spice, salt, pepper, and more powdered garlic. I stirred it really well, and added a can of organic pinto beans, to add in some more nutrition. It's bubbling away now, so I hope it's ready for lunch. And if it's a dud--there's always the salt and pepper remedy! I'll advise if it turns out that way-hopeful that it won't, because it smells like I'm hungry.
Speaking of hunger, reminds me of weight and fitness: quick update, I'm doing the daily workouts in the gym here at home, bike, weights, and yoga mat--and TV:) I'm concentrating on the yoga again because I'm spending so much time in the writing chair--I'm in two classes this round, and then only three more to go-so I'm thinking about work again this fall...I am in a class that I find maddeningly frustrating, so I'm actually meditating to offset that stress...I'm feeling quite fit, still missing the swims though..., and the scale says heavier than the mirror indicates-so I'm taking that as a sign that I've been building muscle mass...in all-Yay. If the scale's true and the mirror's a liar, then at least my body image is intact!
Cheers and Chao!
It's good. You can make it now:) I'd use a little salt, and then salt to taste when serving... The fajita seasoning gave it a little kick.
ReplyDeleteTo indulge, serve with a little spoonful of sour cream...it tempers the fajita nicely:)
Delete