Thursday, 25 April 2013

Because of that saying... [actually a post about "THE" talk]

You know, that "writers write" saying...I'm discovering that I no matter how many courses I'm taking, and what I'm having to to, I still turn to writing as a way of processing life...

So now, speaking of life--where it all begins is the topic for the blog today.  I bought a book a few months ago, and put it in the bookshelf on the working theory that if either of the younger two found it interesting, then they would be ready to know, exactly, where babies come from.  Check.  Book found, and I realized this as I was sitting down at the table, writing!, that it was found because I heard little girl 'reading aloud voice' and the start of the book.

"Where did I come from?  Some people say babies get delivered by a large bird called a stork", and on she read in her singsong tones...It's important to add - she wasn't reading to anyone, just reading!  So she carries on...and a minute or so later:  this was happening live, and I was observing from the distance, wondering what would happen next, here's the play by play I posted on FB last night....

The girl's found the book on reproduction...currently, I can hear her reading the introduction aloud....with the "stork" story, you were a gift, etc...
She's at the part describing that babies need a woman and a man to start, and that moms and dads have different body parts...she's still using her "reading to others voice" and now there's a brother weighing in...but I can not hear what he's saying...
ok, now I can "What shelf did you GET that from?" 
"From the Science section" and now...I really can't hear anymore...
I'd picked that book up, knowing they'd find it when they were interested. [Lots of incredible laughing now....Ooooh!!! Whoooaaaaa!!!! Gross!!!!!! HAhahahaaaaaa!] 
"I found it in the bookshelf!!!! Mom! Look at this!"

So, I'm just blogging the experience for posterity.  Our following conversation took me back to the days of teaching sex ed to high school kids with a straight face.  I remember starting most classes-whether in Bio, or in Personal and Career Planning, with "there are two things happening at the same time here...one-it's easy to learn about this, because everyone has the same equipment, and it's tough to learn about this, because everyone knows they have the same equipment!"  Some of the best teaching moments were on this particular subject...like the kid's face after I played the "miracle of life" video for them in Science 10----"WHY DID YOU SHOW ME THAT MRS. REINSON??? I'm NEVER going to be able to have sex!!!"  

But anyway, closer to home...the curious and near-but-not-quite- disbelieving faces of my three...the oldest, already informed, retreated via headphones while his brother and sister tried to figure it out...they had all the usual questions: where exactly does the baby come out? (they know that I had 3 sections, so they have had that knowledge in their pockets since their cousin was still a bun in the oven), and what is it called, exactly?

Me: What do you think it's called? 
.....sex?
Me: that's right [relieved look on kiddo's face]...How did you learn that term?
Alex and I found a book in the library and started reading it!  
Me: yeah...what else did you learn?
We stopped!
Me: Why'd you stop?
You called us...
Me: [laughing] Yes...that's a short term for "sexual intercourse".  Do you know any other words for it?
Making love? like the book said (which was the greatest straight face challenge of the whole conversation!!!  I NEVER call it that.  E-VER...because it's too telenovela a term for me to use...
Are there any other names for it?
Me: Yes, but not many that are respectful...
What's another one?
Me: Well, on the Big Bang Theory, Sheldon calls it coitus-
[Hahaaa] Coitus!  That sounds funny...
Me: yeah, it's funny on the show too, because people don't really use that term....

Then we moved onto the cute belly button talk, and they were informed, and had no more questions-except...

This book was on the shelf....[like, why would I have that book in their reach-because they thought it was so "inappropriate"]
Yes
Really?!
Yes
WHY?
Because I've always answered your questions when you were ready to ask them, and I thought if that book was on the shelf and if it caught your attention, then you'd be ready to ask the questions and to know the answers.  There are more questions about it than the book answers....
Really?
Yes
Like what???
You'll ask when you're ready!!!
Aaaaaaaahhhhh....[like little wise guys!]

Any more questions?
[shaking heads]
OK-Go brush your teeth 'k?  It's nearly bedtime.

And I'm so grateful that I had to think all this business through, looooong before I had children who'd ask these questions!!!  Giant thanks to my teaching days, and all those honest kids!

Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment