Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Back in what I now think of as "the day"

The closing of the unofficial University bar has me thinking back...as do some of my friends' posts about their experiences back in "the day"--which, by the way, I have to define as the late teens into early twenties era (no matter how old you are--these were your "days"!).  So before all the cool moms were fake-rapping about being parents, back when a plan for going out happened before anyone left their homes--instead of rapidly texting how far away one was, back when using "one" in a sentence wasn't reserved for numbers alone and could still mean a person...young people attending University broke up their semesters of study with periodic bouts of fun.

The grungy, yet superfun, early-20s-in-the-early-90s style drama could only happen at "The Pat" in Saskatoon--and now that it's closed and to be sold, I wonder--where will 'the kids' go for their fun?  What will happen when the Huskies win?  Where will those happy, victorious kids go when they 'should' be studying???  Where will there be dancing?  And perhaps, most importantly, what will happen to ACDC when the Pat closes?  Will they even be a band?  I'll have to download some, for the memories...ACDC, oh yeah, and Hootie and the Blowfish.  They liked to mix it up.  Yes, it was filled with Jimmy Fallon material.

I wish I could introduce myself to Jimmy Fallon, go back in time, and invite him to join in--but not through the front door.  Yeah, Jimmy and I could put together a sketch about everyone going around to "the [actual] back door"...maybe I'd take Tina Fey back too-then we could write a movie about it.  How would we work in Steve Carrell?  I know there's comic gold stored there, way back in time... The awesomeness of the dancing could likely carry the movie, but to really take it over the top, add in all the "love you forever" Meatloaf-style drama, the intros, the shutdowns, the 'oh he's so, like...yeah...", and the break-ups, the girl in the bathroom (she could be any variety: the "I shouldna ha'that last one" girl, or the mascara-stained "I can't even [*SOB*] believe he said that" girl, or the girl who just vehemently agrees with her BFF-before girls called each other BFFs), and the guys (couldn't leave them out!)- the guys actively shopping, the guys who are 'just looking', the guys who did MMA before it was cool or a sport- there's the movie.  Yes, there would be laughing in the theatre-because anyone attending would recognize themselves or their friends.

The key to that kind of fun was being where the people were at, and that was the Pat.  Some of the early 20s had a lot more fun than others; clearly, I was there often enough to recognize all the people remembered here-but infrequently enough that I have my degree like the other thousands of alumni do...If you've been, it's all good--but if the staff still recognizes you from Thursday night...well...

Cheers and Chao!



No comments:

Post a Comment