Saturday, 6 August 2011

Saturday, Saturday, you stretch out beautifully...

Update style today, since it's been almost a week since I added anything.


I've been vigilant with the foods, nothing new until yesterday, when I had some popcorn while I watched a very slow (nay, BAD) movie filled with whining, mistunderstood women.  It's been berry smoothies, lentils, apples, and herbal tea, along with some brown rice, quinoa, sunflower seeds and maple syrup, and a trout with maple syrup and cracked peppercorns upon it.  All quite enjoyeable...except,


A little old news from Facebook:  I am singularly obsessed with coffee again --well, that's not quite the whole truth, because there's significant competition from chocolate.  I can't say whether it's because I had some coffees in Canada, (only decaf!), or that I found rice milk for lattes, or that it's so cool here that I want to warm up rink-style with a nice hot coffee or what...but I am obsessed again.  I even went so far as to make one, with caffeine, and I had one sip...but then tossed it down the sink in the hopes of being able to know for sure if the lovely migraine of the month was related in any way to coffee or not.


I held fast to the hope that finding out it the migraine happened anyway, coffee would be off the hook, guilt free, and able to re-enter my life!  I will do a little bio-chem style research to determine if its acidity is a culprit in creating greater allergic sensitivities...and if I find out that's the case, then I'll have to adjust to the rarest indulgence only.


As far as health goes, it was a good week of exercise.  I got three workouts in since Monday, so one today and one tomorrow makes 5-so that's on track, and likely a giant factor in being more than halfway back to the pre-holiday state on the scale.  I continue to be curious about where I can go, especially since I don't really have a goal--just a hopeful number. 


Humourous aside time:  yes, it involves the humorous arm!  In Zumba, there's this low move, wide stance, where we had to go side to side, alternating a fast torso motion, with a "freeze" --all leading with the shoulders, hand on the legs.  We were "popping" like 80's breakdancers--so the day after, what's sore???  My shoulders, I guess 'cuz I don't "pop" a lot in my daily life!  Or, it could have been the lengths in the pool, because I was concentrating on extension and full range of motion...either way, I'm remembering that I exercised!  Also, left knee says "Zumba?-once per week only please!!!".


In the past, it's worked best for me when I ignored the scale, except as a piece of information, and focussed on healthy habits, and healthy choices--every time.  Which isn't to say I don't care-I just want to be able to enjoy wherever I get to, knowing that I've been active and eating well, and the way my body feels.  I prefer feeling strong to feeling floppy, and that's been motivation enough in the past-in fact, it's been one of my core values in life, around which I've made many decisions.  


Will I be stronger for it? has generated some of the best decisions I've made.  If it fits with the other values, then I've gone ahead, regardless of how intimidating or scary the choice might have been.  I think if I take care of myself, I'm in a better state to take care of the other people I care about.  


Figuring out that being healthy is the base of all of my abilities has taken a while, because I had to shake off the old notion that self-sacrifice was the ideal for mothers and 'good' people.  If I sacrifice myself, what do I have left for the people in my life?  A shell of "used to" or "could have" or "potential"; and none of that sounds as good to me as being an example of appreciating life and health, giving everything I can, and making sure that my life is lived!


Perhaps Saturday is for philosophy...


Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment