It was a little beef fiesta in the kitchen today.
While I was wandering in the supermarket, I wanted to be able to use my free afternoon well, by getting food organized and some of it made. I bought the ingredients for the kiddos to make their own pizzas, found a natural chorizo without any preservatives other than salt, along with a pechuga de campo (which was a very yellow chicken breast on the bone).
By browning 2 lbs ground beef, and coming freshly off the school's nutrition cafecito (little meeting), I was inspired to veg it all up. I grated in two baby zucchinis, diced in a huge handful of shallots, generous dumping in of dried oregano, and browned that together. Part of it was destined to be my lunch soup, the rest was going to become casserole for everyone but me-because I was going to add potatoes and spaghetti sauce.
My soup:
meat from the above prep,
2 tablespoons of wild rice
1/3 cup of brown rice,
1 cup of shredded cabbage,
5 scrutinized palmfuls of lentils,
2 onion soup cubes
Water to cover it all completely
Boil, reduce and simmer until the rice and lentils are soft, about 50 minutes.
The casserole
To the meat in the huge frying pan, I added 5 cubed, scrubbed potatoes, a 250g bag of kernel corn, a jar of spaghetti sauce, and a jar of water. I divided this into two 9x13 inch pans, and sprinkled grated cheese over top, and they're baking very slowly in the oven right now.
The chicken, is heading into the oven, and it's going to bake slowly as well, then I'll slice it up and use it for sandwiches to go into lunch boxes, or as the meat to make quesadillas for lunches or a dinner. No preservatives, additives, just healthy easy-to-use chicken--
Cheers and chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment