Saturday, 2 February 2013

Mist in the mountains...we're here!

I thought I would have lots to say; but I think I might have lost some of my first impressions, as I was so busy having them that I didn't blog a thing about it.  Most of you readers are caught up on the bits and pieces from Facebook...

We've left the comforts of Grandma and Grandpa's behind, (if you call eyeball high snow banking comfortable!).   I joke-those snowfalls were really great full-body workouts.  The lifestyle was certainly filled with good times, good company, and good food. We will have to work hard to find equivalent workouts here.  To that end-we went price-checking fitness equipment here.

I really do have to get at my course already-so I'm going to deviate from my usual discourse and just spill:

Food-excellent.  I like arepas, which are slightly puffy, yet flat corn rounds.

People-incredibly lovely, warm, friendly, polite.... The fashion is hot weather-compatible (which you could read as low-cut/high-cut and 'well-heeled').  I was asked by kiddo, "why are those men running without their shirts on?" "It's hot out."

Sights- mountains, misty cloud, modern office district, with the usual-to-us crowded shops along streets.

Weather-on average, I'll say it's 27 and rainy from time to time.

Buildings-nearly every one has an open-air aspect, because there is zero need for heating.

Self-conscious?  Yes-we stick out.  I know that young girls want to see what the kids' hair feels like-I have seen the same look in Peru.  I also feel curious stares.  Like- "Hmmm...wonder why they're here?"  Lots of double takes..but friendly ones I think!

We're swimming in settling in jobs, trying to balance them out with enough down time that kid marbles don't spill all over the place.

That's how I see it now- and I feel like we're down to business, which is a huge switch in gears from the "neutral" we were idling in while jobs were being decided, and visas and work permits applied for...

I think that's all for now.  We're going to head across the street, get dinner, and get back for a nice early bedtime-maybe.  Or maybe we'll have another insanely late bedtime after we finish wandering around.

Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment