After a holiday of baking, eating, drinking, and being Merry, and getting out and about a little, it's closer to our departure date for Colombia. (Before you think it-too late, I know!!!--but yes, it feels safe there. No more cartels running the place!) Thank you to Mom and Dad hardly scratches the surface of our gratitude for how welcoming they've been--so I've tried to do little things to help out every day, and the kids are catching on to that and have been getting better and better at leaving a smaller wake of "kid" all over the place.
So I wrote "slogging" because I have been out of any kind of routine-save for driving the kids to school and getting groceries on the way back- because I have felt so yuck. The little list of illnesses that I've had onboard is highly pesky. I've felt floppy, energy has been hard to manufacture at times, headaches, aches that come with viruses, etc...a day here and there with the flu; so I've been fluctuating between trying to rest and trying to be more active. I can't really say which approach works better, because I still feel like I have a cold 'hangover' of sorts. So this morning, I went to get the vitamin-nutrition into high gear. Just before we left Chile, I rediscovered that anemia is a great way to feel tired...so I've been trying to remember to take the little red wunderpill. [Yawn] I think the iron deficiency isn't managed yet.
In trying to get revitalized, I have had to do a little mental work: 1) acknowledging that I have less enthusiasm for the move than I would like to have 2) working up the necessary enthusiasm for the legwork and organization for our move and 3) continuing to appreciate each day for whatever it offers. Some days, I'm like "ok day--seriously?!!" but then I try to recalibrate and restore my perspective: we are all fine, we have an opportunity to experience another culture, and we can still stay connected with our families and friends. There will be grandparent withdrawal-that is nothing I look forward to, but the reason for the withdrawal will have been months of spending time together-so I'll try be glad for that, instead of sad for missing it.
Paradox: living up to its name by being familiar, yet freshly sharp each time we move. The reason for the sadness I'm becoming more and more aware of, will have been these many weeks of enjoying our time here.. Ever read Peaks and Valleys? I feel like I'm sliding, and I know it, but it can't be avoided, so I've just got to accept that the emotional climb will be long-but we'll get there. Hmmm. I sound funky--which brings be 'round to what I was originally going to post--getting reenergized, and less funky.
So-doing the work--I really did mean to post about physical work-but this set of realizations took over. The exercise is really helpful for mental clarity-maybe that's what I meant to say. I also meant to say I feel better for having worked out. Can't underestimate the mind-body interaction! I added a couple new pieces of workout gear into the mix-they were fun and will continue to make sweating it out easier.
I think that's all--I'm hungry, and periodically congested, so Jeff and I are going out to eat spicy noodle soup.
Working out works out more than just the body I guess...Happy fresh start to all, and I'll wish you all a good workout too!
Cheers and chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment